TSRHC

About TSRHC

Historical Timeline

  • 1921 - Hospital Chartered

    What is now known as Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children (TSRHC) is officially chartered on October 6, 1921 by a group of five community leaders who are also members of the Masonic Fraternity. They are named as the first Board of Trustees of the hospital.

  • 1921 - Dr. William B. Carrell, COS

    The Board of Trustees approaches Dallas orthopaedic surgeon Dr. William Beall Carrell about treating children with polio free of charge. Dr. Carrell offers his services and clinic space and becomes the hospital's first chief of staff (COS).

  • 1922 - 500th Patient Treated

    As word spreads throughout Texas and the caseload increases, the clinic has treated 500 patients and has 1,000 applications waiting from 150 Texas counties. The clinic moves to the new and larger Dallas Medical Arts building in downtown Dallas.

  • 1923 - 1st Hospital Facility

    The caseload continues to rise and Texas Masons determine that a hospital facility is needed to accommodate future growth. Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children is built on three acres in Dallas' Oak Lawn area at the corner of Welborn Street and Sylvester Street (now Scottish Rite Way). The original structure is a two-story red brick building with a 15-bed patient ward.

  • 1926 - Scottish Rite Mason Support

    The Texas Scottish Rite Masons assume financial responsibility for the hospital. The Board of Trustees establishes an endowment fund to ensure the longevity of TSRHC's work.

  • 1933 - 14,000th Patient Treated

    The total number of patients treated reaches 14,000. Four years later, the total number of patients treated has nearly doubled to more than 27,000.

  • 1944 - Dr. Brandon Carrell, COS

    Dr. Brandon Carrell succeeds his father as TSRHC's second Chief of Staff. His father, Dr. William B. Carrell, served the hospital from its founding in 1921 until his death in 1944.

  • 1953 - Polio Eradicated

    The Salk and Sabin vaccines virtually eradicate polio in North America, allowing TSRHC medical staff to expand treatment in a wide range of pediatric orthopaedic disabilities caused by disease, accidents and congenital conditions such as scoliosis and clubfoot.

  • 1964 - Senator Blakley Donation

    Former U.S. Senator William A. Blakley and his wife, Villa, donate two large ranches to TSRHC - an unprecedented gift which allows the hospital to begin plans for the construction of a new facility. The hospital continues to operate one of the ranches, the Rocker b™, a 173,00-acre ranch in West Texas.

  • 1965 - Dr. Waites Defines Dyslexia

    Pediatric neurologist Dr. Lucius “Luke” Waites joins the staff and develops a center to evaluate and treat children with learning disabilities, specifically dyslexia. In 1968, at the invitation of Dr. Waites, the World Federation of Neurology meets at TSRHC and develops the first consensus medical definition of dyslexia.

  • 1974 - Groundbreaking of New Facility

    Ground is broken on a new six-story, 400,000-square-foot facility across the street from the original hospital building. It opens in 1977.

  • 1975 - Dr. Tony Herring, COS

    Current TSRHC Chief of Staff, Dr. J. A. "Tony" Herring, is appointed. He continues to work closely with Dr. Brandon Carrell until Dr. Carrell's death in 1981. In the hospital's 90 years of service to children, there have been just three Chiefs of Staff.

  • 1979 - Orthopaedic Fellowship Begins

    TSRHC's pediatric orthopaedic fellowship program is initiated to allow orthopaedic surgeons to pursue additional specialized training. Since that time, 130 orthopaedic fellows representing 33 states, Puerto Rico and Canada have trained at TSRHC. In addition, more than 20 surgeons from countries throughout the world have trained at TSRHC through the hospital's international fellowship program.

  • 1981 - 1st Amputee Ski Trip

    The annual TSRHC Amputee Ski Trip is established to give 14 teenage patients the opportunity to learn to ski at the renowned National Sports Center for the Disabled in Winter Park, Colo. The event comes six years after the hospital launched its own Prosthetics department to custom build prostheses for its patients.

  • 1986 - Spinal Implant System®

    The TSRH® Spinal Implant System, developed in the hospital's research laboratory to correct a range of spinal deformities, is introduced at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. It becomes the most widely used spinal implant system in the world.

  • 1987 - 1st Tartan Golf Classic

    The first Tartan Golf Classic is held at Brook Hollow Golf Club. Since its inception, this annual golf event has raised more than $4 million for TSRHC.

  • 1988 - Over 500 Volunteers

    The number of active volunteers at the hospital reaches 500. Since the founding of the Auxiliary in 1921, nearly 3.5 million volunteer hours have been contributed to the hospital by these dedicated individuals who now number more than 800.

  • 1989 - Ilizarov Procedure Begins

    Dr. John Birch, assistant chief of staff, begins performing the Ilizarov procedure to lengthen and straighten bones of TSRHC patients.

  • 1993 - TRUE LOK® System Patented

    Researchers at TSRHC develop the TRUE/LOK® External Fixation System, a patented modification of the Ilizarov device for the lengthening and straightening of bones.

  • 1996 - 1st Treasure Street

    The hospital celebrates its 75th birthday. TSRHC's now widely recognized crayon logo and colorful campus signage are debuted as part of the hospital's commemorative 75th year.

    The total number of patients treated at the hospital surpasses 100,000, almost 10,000 for scoliosis.

    The first Treasure Street event is held at TSRHC, raising more than $150,000 in proceeds. Since its inception, Treasure Street has raised more than $8.5 million benefiting the hospital's Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC) Clinic and many other hospital programs. In 2010, Treasure Street celebrated its most successful event to date, generating more than $1 million in proceeds during one single year.

  • 1997 - Four Acre Fitness Park Opens

    The four-acre James F. Chambers, Jr., Youth Fitness Park, named in honor of a longtime hospital leader and trustee, opens on the TSRHC campus to help children of all abilities reach their potential.

  • 1997 - 1st Dallas White Rock Marathon

    The Dallas White Rock Marathon designates Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children as primary charity beneficiary of the race. Since that time, the marathon has generated more than $1.9 million in proceeds for the hospital.

  • 1998 - Family Resource Center

    With a $3.5 million gift from Don and Linda Carter, the Christi Carter Urschel Family Resource Center is established in honor of their daughter. The Center provides educational material and other information resources, programs and group support to patients and 1993 their families.

  • 1999 - Family Room and Chapel

    The Sam and Millie Hilburn Family Room and Chapel, designed to accommodate a growing patient population, opens with a larger, more comfortable surgery waiting area and new place of worship.

  • 2000 - State-of-the-art Research Center

    A new, larger research center, the 28,000-square-foot Sarah M. and Charles E. Seay Center for Musculoskeletal Research, is built to provide TSRHC with a state-of-the-art technical and teaching environment.

  • 2003 - Limb Lengthening Center

    The Center for Excellence in Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction is formalized under the direction of TSRHC Dr. John Birch and Dr. Mikhail Samchukov.

  • 2005 - Spine Research Center

    The Sarah M. and Charles E. Seay/ Martha and Pat Beard Center for Excellence in Spine Research is established with TSRHC's Dr. Daniel Sucato as director.

  • 2006 - Hand Center

    The Charles E. Seay Jr., Hand Center is established under the direction of TSRHC's Dr. Marybeth Ezaki.

  • 2007 - TSRHC Discovers 1st IS Gene

    Hospital researchers under the direction of Dr. Carol Wise identify the first gene - CHD7 - associated with idiopathic scoliosis, the most common spinal deformity in children. The discovery enables scientists and doctors to explore the disease's causes and potential treatment.

  • 2007 - Clubfoot Research

    The Center for Excellence in Clubfoot Research is established under the direction of TSRHC's Dr. Steve Richards.

  • 2009 - Pickens Conference Center

    The 23,000-square-foot T. Boone Pickens Training and Conference Center opens at TSRHC, thanks to an $8 million gift from Madeleine and T. Boone Pickens. Since that time, more than 40,000 visitors have been introduced to the hospital through this outstanding addition to the TSRHC facility.

  • 2009 - Hip Disorders Center

    The Center for Excellence in Hip Disorders is established under the direction of TSRHC's Dr. Harry Kim, also director of the Center for Musculoskeletal Research.

  • 2010 - 200,000 Patients Treated

    TSRHC welcomes its 200,000th patient.

  • 2011 - 90th Birthday

    TSRHC celebrates its 90th birthday year.